[C++ Academia] Conference Proposal

Chuck Allison chuck.allison at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 22:09:03 PDT 2018

I presented a few times at OOPSLA. I don't feel it's relevant for me anymore, and I really don't hear much about it these days.
I do like the idea of having a conference associated with ACM. That's what CCSC does at a regional level (I have presented there many times over the last 15 years). For me personally, the idea of an academic conference that focuses on teaching as well as other interesting issues related to software development and programming languages is very appealing. CCSC does that, but it lacks relevance to and connection with industry. So either I like the idea of beefing up the academic component of Cppcon, or having another conference which is more welcoming to academics and yet still keeps the connection to industry. I live in both worlds, and I think there are many like me.
Chuck Allison

-------- Original message --------From: Jon Kalb <jon at kalbweb.com> Date: 7/12/18  7:56 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: Hartmut Kaiser <hartmut.kaiser at gmail.com> Cc: cppac at lists.cpp.ac Subject: Re: [C++ Academia] Conference Proposal

Is OOPSLA focused on what its name says (OOP)? It looks to me like cutting edge never uses “virtual.” I don’t really know what OOPSLA is doing or what academic research is going on related to C++. Please help me learn.

Do you know how to go about setting up an affiliation with ACM or IEEE?

I assume you did that for BoostCon, right?