[C++ Academia] ISO-C++ BoF at SuperComputing '18?

Hollman, David S dshollm at sandia.gov
Thu Jul 19 14:32:00 PDT 2018

Hi there fellow C++ academics!

For those of you potentially attending Supercomputing (SC18) this year, I’ve heard the idea of organizing a BoF on C++ standardization process and outlook floated around in several conversations. One of my colleagues recently attended an analogous BoF session at ISC18 organized by some members of the OpenMP committee (https://2018.isc-program.com/?page_id=10&id=bof108&sess=sess136) and suggested that something similar for C++ (with particular emphasis on C++20 and 17) might be interesting. The general idea would be to gather a panel of about a dozen experts who are actively involved in ISO-C++ standardization and hold an audience-driven discussion on the process and prospects for the future of C++, with a particular focus on features and topics relevant to SC18 conference attendees. As with most such events, we would start with a short list of prepared topics and solicit further questions and topics for discussion from attendees as the event progresses.

If there’s interest, I’d be happy to lead the effort to organize such a BoF. The deadline for SC18 BoF proposals is July 31, so we’d have to pull something together relatively quickly. Is there anyone on this list that would be interested in participating in such a panel? Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how, why, why not, etc., we should go about holding such an event? Also, if you know of someone who may be interested in this who isn't on this list, please let me know and/or forward this on to them.

Thanks,

David Hollman, Ph. D.
Senior Member of Technical Staff,
Sandia National Laboratories